Sunday, August 13, 2006

Installing server

So I am ready to start installing the server. I chose for the ubuntu-server edition. You can download the software here. I restarted the pc and made sure it booted from CD (you can change the boot sequence in the BIOS, access the BIOS by pressing a "specific" key during startup). I chose to install just the minimal server. You can also choose to install a LAMP server with linux, Apache (webserver), Mysql (database) and PHP installed automatically. Although I want to have all these features on my server I rather install them myself later.

The first question in the installation proces that I had to answer was where I wanted to install ubuntu-server. I installed two harddrives in my system. One of 10 gig and one of 320 gig. I chose to install the software on the small one. And to keep the large one for data storage. After the choosing the location the only difficult question was whether I wanted to use LVM (logical volume manager). I decided not to use LVM. For me it is not really clear what LVM does. I am not sure if I made the right decision but I`ll probably find out later. I just try to keep it as simple as possible. check this forum to see an answer of someone with the same question. After this, the installation proces was very easy and in less then 15 minutes I rebooted the system and the server was up and running...

No comments: