Monday, August 14, 2006

Mounting the harddisk

So the server is up and running. First thing I want to do now is find my secondary harddisk and find out if all the data on it is accessible. All files in a Unix-system are arranged in a tree. All the files can be spread over different devices such as harddisks, cd-rom, usb device. With the command "mount" you can attach the file system found on a device to the file tree. So I gave the command:
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /home/data
With this command I told the server to mount my harddrive with the "ext3" file-system. The name/location is "/dev/hda1/" (note that this is somehow a different name than when the harddisk was connected to my desktop-pc). The "/home/data" at the end is the location in the file-tree where I can find the data after mounting the disk.
After this I went to the directory to check if it was mounted correctly
cd /home/data
And there it is. All data is accesible.

Next time I will work on samba to share all the data over a windows-network.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am new guy for this blog. I get it clear idea about your topic.Above all the points are explained very clearly.Reading this kind of article is worthy.web hosting in india